Today, we realize a 150 year old dream.
But lest you think by 'we' she meant Indians, think again. Who dreamt, we must ask, this dream 150 years back? It would be useful to know that, back in the year 1860, this 'dream' first occurred to the colonial British navy officers for the purely imperial reason of quicker troop logistics, as a strategy rethink in the direct aftermaths of the First War for Independence in 1857.
Make no mistake, in her collective 'we', madam proudly takes a seat with the colonial imperialists.
The Sethusamudram project has been talked about all these years, but little was done to make it a working reality. A Government at the centre, a Government in which the DMK, the PMK and the MDMK are allies and partners, has moved ahead decisively to bring to realization...
Got it? Let us make sure nobody else steals credit for destroying the Hindu icon from these: The Congress, Communists, DMK, PMK and MDMK. Let us remember this lot. Thanks for highlighting this, Ms. Gandhi!
I am aware that environmentalists have raised some issues. Fears have been expressed about the impact on coral reefs, for example. I am confident that the project authorities are alive and sensitive to these concerns...
Yes madam. Coral Reefs, not Rama Setu. Concerns are only ecological, not of heritage.
Today’s youth is very keen on it. We have ensured that software is now available in Tamil so that young boys and girls from all over the state can acquire computer skills and literacy. Our Government has already give Tamil the status of a classical language.
It would be interesting to know what she means by 'ensuring'!
2) And she has given the status of 'classical language' to Tamil? Tamil is a classical language regardless of whether she recognises it or not (does she even know any Tamil?); neither Tamil nor its speakers were waiting around for Ms. Sonia Gandhi's (or her colonial predecessors') condescending 'recognition' to that effect.
3) But if she is merely handing out her own personal certificates to languages she deigns to consider classical, is she herewith implying that other Indic languages are not 'classical'?
4) But this one makes me really sceptical: why did she bring up Tamil, in the inauguration speech for SSCP? What exactly does the topic of the Tamil language have to do with the matter of the bridge and the SSC project under discussion?
Once again, let me say how happy I am that the Sethusamudram project is being launched today... It is truly a day of satisfaction, a historic moment for Tamil Nadu and for the country.
Under the 'History of Sethusamudram Channel' page, it says:
In 1862, a Parliamentary Committee of Her Majesty’s Government was appointed to report on the site for a canal across the Island of Rameswaram...
In 1863, His Excellency Sir William Dennison, R.E., Acting Governor of Madras, visited Pamban and selected a site which he considered the most advantageous...
And these people have found out the person with the perfect name to head the project. The CEO of the channel building project is Mr. N. K. Raghupathy! Raghupathy is all too eager to destroy the bridge which his namesake of yore is believed to have constructed. He says:
...Work at Adam’s Bridge, long awaited, commenced in December, 2006.
We have...been working very hard and continue to do so with missionary zeal for making this ... a reality.
- Inaugural speech of Ms. Sonia Gandhi
- History of the project, from its official website.
- From CEO's desk