Tuesday, May 22, 2007

May 21, 2007

A Good Thing Done Badly by Sundara Krishnaswami on India-Forum.com

I still recall my reaction when, in the year 2001, I first saw the NASA pictures of the bridge that Rama built between India and Sri Lanka about a million and odd years ago. My heart leapt in utter joy and I was incredulous that the bridge still existed. I remember carrying the web-site address on my PC files and enthusiastically showing the photographs to several people in the next few months.

About three weeks ago, I became aware of the project called the Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project (SSCP) and the project’s plans to break the bridge that Rama built discarding better and cheaper alternatives that are available. This bridge (more a bund really) is called Rama Sethu or Nala Sethu in Bharat’s scriptures, or Adams Bridge in post-1800 geographical maps. In the past four days, this subject has gained high visibility in India and has been raised in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha as well as the Tamil Nadu Assembly. The subject is also gaining increased awareness among the world’s Indian and Hindu population.

Read the whole article, very well written, using the above link.

hits since Chaitra 7, 2064 Vikram (March 26, 2007)